Friday, February 15, 2013

My Grandma

Poem title: My grandma

She was the angel on my shoulder, while the devil was surrounding me, persuading me to engage in everything she asked me, "Not" to do.

Her life experience and seasoned maturity spoke through her voice of care and concern for me, but usually the devil in me won.

She stayed on her knees praying her pleas to the all mighty, that I wouldn't turn up missing, or dead. She prayed for stability, so I would keep a healthy mind and not flirt with insanity. As I often did.


She also prayed I would be in good bodily health, and for some reason her prays NEVER fell on deaf ears. The Lord willingly agreed to her terms because I am still alive.

Love was the language often spoke from her lips, along with a couple curse words from time to time ,when a situation presented itself.
Phrases like, "Lawd, have mercy!" or "God don't like ugly!" Followed by maybe a lil of " You gotta get tougher skin!" Rang in my ears. Melodies of correction to get myself together.

In regards to my grandma, It must have been difficult to carry the weight of others, especially when she had more compassion for others than they did for themselves.

She was a living book who's title was, "Virtue." The pages of her life was knowledge and wisdom. Each line on her face was written with praise. The son sparkled in her eyes.

She owned the hard substance of, "I don't give a fuck," she wore on the outside, with the soft substance of faith in the interior. I bet this, helped her to maneuver through life's ups and downs.

She always seemed to know what to do, when I didn't know what to do. Sometimes when she didn't really know what to do, that is when she went to God and she knew he knew what to do. That's what she did.

She held an awesome position in the family and in my heart.

I hope where in Heaven, she is radiant with pride ,knowing I am not the finished product and also knowing
One day I will be joining her in glory.

Written by Luchetta(Cookee)Manus 1/30/13

No comments:

Post a Comment